What support services are available at Malyon? Here are the answers you need
While studying at Malyon, you may benefit from accessing support services to help you get the most out of your educational experience. A range of support services are available to you through staff at the college. We can also support you by referring you to appropriate services available in the community.
Who to ask for help
What if I am an Overseas Student?
Will student support services cost me?
If in an emergency
Pastoral Care Chaplaincy and Personal counselling
Pastoral Care and Counselling can help you with a range of issues including mental health and emotional wellbeing, loss and grief, relationship issues, and life direction.
- College Chaplain – available on campus Tuesday and Wednesday, with Zoom or telephone appointments available outside of these days by arrangement. Contact: 0733545656 or fill out contact form. The Chaplain may offer referral to external counseling service where appropriate.
Academic support, including help with study skills
Support is available in a range of academic areas including essay writing, proper referencing, study skills and time management, accessing library resources, and academic English.
- Student Tutor – available on campus Tuesday and Wednesday, with Zoom or telephone appointments available outside of these days by arrangement. Contact: 0733545656 or fill out contact form
Health and welfare services
Health and welfare services cover a wide range of supports for issues including those related to physical health (i.e. medical), disability, financial, and tenancy.
- Non-urgent health advice (Qld Health) – Phone: 13HEALTH (13 43 25 84). If in an emergency dial 000
- Disability and access – If a disability is affecting your capacity to study or participate in college life, contact our Registrar. Malyon will take all reasonable measures to ensure students with a disability are included in college life. Malyon’s campus is fitted with a disability lift that provides access to all floors of the campus to provide full inclusivity in campus learning and community life.
- Financial resources – Malyon does not offer specific financial services, however, there are great online resources for this. Whilst this online resource has been developed for Overseas Students coming to Australia, it also provides some great tips and resources that all students may benefit from: International Studnet Guide – Money & Banking
- Tenancy – Students who require advice about tenancy/rental matters are recommended to contact Tenants Queensland (formerly Tenants’ Union of Queensland) who seek to represent the concerns of all Queensland tenants who live in rental accommodation, including caravan park and boarding house residents. Website: tenantsqld.org.au
While staff at the college cannot provide legal advice, you may be referred to services in the community that can help you with legal matters; such as traffic incidents, domestic violence matters, family law matters, immigration, and consumer rights. A great resource to help find legal assistance is Legal Aid Queensland: www.legalaid.qld.gov.au
Malyon does not have on site residency for students. As Malyon is close to public transport (train and bus), student accommodation options are available between the Gaythorne campus and the Brisbane CBD. Student accommodation comparison websites are helpful to compare what is available: Click Here
SASH and DV support
The Australian College of Theology have put together resources relevant to the state you may live in www.actheology.edu.au/sash-and-dfv-services/ .
Additional support for DV is available from DARE Formal Ware. DARE supports women by linking victims with available community services and raises funds through the sale of donated formal and wedding wear.