Malyon College was established by the Baptist Union (then Association) of Queensland on Leap Day, 29th February, 1904 for the training of men for the Baptist Ministry.
It was a day of small beginnings. There were no College buildings and the Tower room of the City Tabernacle, Brisbane, was used as the class-room until 1939. The first two Principals, Revs TJ Malyon and W Bell, served most of their terms in a part-time capacity while pastoring churches. It was a real milestone when the second Principal became full-time in 1930.
A new era began when a house situated at West End, Brisbane was given to the College. It was dedicated in 1939 as the first College building. The 12 room house was used for lectures and served variously over the years as accommodation for students attending monthly and as Principal's residence.
During the term of the third Principal, Rev TC Warriner, a proper residential system began in 1945. The campus expanded as several adjoining properties were acquired until the total area held was half a hectare. Two brick buildings were erected in 1953 and 1964 respectively with accommodation, lecture room, office, library and kitchen-dining facilities. A second faculty member was appointed. After the introduction of a non-ministerial course in 1969 under the fourth Principal, Dr EG Gibson, enrolments rose immediately to 40.
In 1974, a new campus was erected on a 4 hectare site at Brookfield, Brisbane.
The period following was one of expansion for the College. Whilst at Brookfield various building programmes saw the addition of a block of flats and a three bedroom house for students, third and fourth faculty residences, and the doubling of the Library building and administration offices.
Principal Rev Dr Stan Nickerson was Principal from 1983 to 2001. The current Principal, commencing in 2002, is the Rev Dr John Sweetman, an experienced church pastoral leader.
For a number of years Queensland Baptists had dreamed of bringing together their various departments onto one site. Early in the 2000s an opportunity came to purchase part of the Australian Catholic University site at Mitchelton. These plans were finally realised in 2005 when Malyon College began teaching at the new site. The previous facilities at Brookfield were converted to a Camp and Conference centre and continue to be used in Christian ministry.
So now Malyon College is located in a completely refurbished facility, close to the city, near rail and bus transport, yet surrounded by bush. There is no longer any permanent accommodation for students or faculty, but students can stay in overnight rooms if needed.